Monday, November 24, 2008

Go GREENS.

I made this recipe that was recommended by my friend, Susan the other day for Collard Greens. It turned out to be an amazingly fresh alternative to my family's usual bacon fatty Southern soaked version.


Collard Greens with Currants and Almonds
1 BUNCH COLLARD GREENS, CUT INTO 1 INCH STRIPS
1 MEDIUM YELLOW ONION- CHOPPED
Approx. 2 TBS. OLIVE OIL
2 CLOVES GARLIC- Minced
1/4 C. CURRANTS
1/4 C. SLIVERED ALMONDS

Heat large pot on high. Add olive oil (Be generous; Add more than 2 Tbs. if necessary), onion and garlic. Simmer on high for 1 minute then add collard greens, currants, and almonds. Toss in a splash of water for steaming. Let cook for six minutes stirring occasionally.

*I'm also going to bring these to my family's North Carolina Thanksgiving table this year, but I'm going to give pine nuts a try in the place of almonds. Mmmm!

1 comment:

shea said...

i'm so jealous of all my friends who are going home for the holidays. i think i am stuck in new york until at least february.

sorry i missed you the other weekend. i got a new job and things have been crazy. coffee soon. text me when you are back in town. x