Saturday, January 17, 2009

Energy

Having been stuck at home 1.) sick 2.) with no job 3.) afraid of frost bite, I've been getting a healthy dose of T.V., so I just saw that Pepsi Commercial with The Apples in Stereo's song 'Energy' in it. I actually didn't even realize it was them until I googled it, but after I did, it got me thinking. This could be bad.

First of all, here's the real video for the song directed by none other than Elijah Wood:



The video is pretty blah, but the song has been motivating me out of my personal blahs.

Second of all, I once won tickets to see The Apples in Stereo off my college radio station in North Carolina for their 2003 tour. It happened about this time 6 years ago. At the time I was going to UNC-Greensboro, and loathing all of my surroundings. Teen angst! Yessss! So I found my rather puerile review of the show.

I was 19, and looked something like this:


Apples in Stereo were really good, although the audience was being pretty lame. I mean, you would expect some people to dance or something with the kind of music that they are...but whatever. I mean, people started leaving before they even cut the lights back on in the club, nevertheless, the band came back and did an encore for the remainder of the polite people who paid to see their show. They look different than I thought they would...but they seemed really friendly and and bubbly...which I guess matches their music. Also...it was very smokey in Cat's Cradle(worse than usual)...and I thought my eyes were going to fall out. I am so glad they outlawed smoking in clubs in NY...one more reason to live there! (NOTE: BAHAHAHAHA!!!!) After the show, of course we had to go to:

(a 24-Hour greasy spoon in Carrboro. popular with the college-folk.)

(This is my friend, Adam at Time Out. He lives in Oakland now, and is married to a friend of the girl seated next him.)
So that was it...then we got back really late...and i had to park in BFE (Translation: Bum-Fuck Egypt)...and walk all the way ACROSS campus to my dorm, carrying my huge cd book, among other things. It was freezing outside. This was definitely my least favorite part of the evening.

p.s. i only have $35 in my bank account. uh mom? help...?

Not much has changed, I guess. I have since purchased an Ipod. (Although, I still have all my disks and tapes-- most likely covered in a layer of dust-- in a trunk in my apartment.)

No comments: