Saturday, January 17, 2009

In Vino Veritas

Bouncing in the back seat of a luxury conversion van with the commentary of a football game (Or maybe it was baseball? Basketball?!) booming in acoustic flush surround-sound under walnut wood trim was not the way I envisioned my introduction to Napa Valley wine tasting-- but who am I to complain? I wasn't paying for it. So I just sat back, tried to refrain from hurling up the bottle of Malbec plus all three Manhattans I'd imbibed the night before, not to fail to mention my breakfast (an In and Out Burger) as we jounced through the twists and turns of Northern California. On my occasional peeks out the window, though the morning was dreary and overcast, I saw some of the most beautiful land I'd seen in a long time. Living in New York City, natural greenery is like gold to me. However, being that it was December, all the vines were dry and barren, but one could imagine the lush fruit that they might produce as Spring draws near. This reminded me of my favorite Greek myth of Persephone, Goddess of Spring, Queen of the Underworld, daughter of Demeter; Demeter, Goddess of Grain and Fertility, and ironically AKA Amphictyonis-- wouldn't you know it--Goddess of Wine. With Persephone's relationship to the wine goddess, it is no surprise that she teeters between darkness and light (Remember that scene in the movie, Sideways?). Hitting a particularly sharp curve, my stomach is further reminded of the dark side of that grape, but saved when my boyfriend's sister declares that we have arrived at our first winery. 


Stop 1: Dutch Henry Winery
The tastings at this winery were conducted among the barrels of wine being distilled, which proved to be an interesting sight in comparison to the sometimes bustling, other times snooty shops I'd been to before. As I was still crawling out of my hangover, I have no recollection of the wines tried, nor whether I liked them that much. The winery did have a pet cat named, Lucille (after the song and/or B.B.King's guitar) that made a stronger impression on me than the wines. The wine did provide a certain animal quality for me that was helpful, though it was more canine than feline.


Stop 2: V. Sattui Winery
As we pulled up to V. Sattui, I wasn't sure if we'd arrived at an enchanted elven village or a typical American roadside attraction. I later decided that it was a mash of both, minus the the elves-- although I think I did see a midget-- err little person. Having been attacked by twisting vines and stucco, this place really is quite lovely. Upon entering their shop, we realize that this is the Costco of vineyard shops. Bargain wines, multiple tasting stations, and an abundance of bulk wine sales greet us. Amid all of the boom, I feel like I'm going to barf, so I make a run for the cheese tasting section to try to get something more solid than a greasy burger in my stomach. I squeeze my way between a rotund fellow tasting every cheese on the chopping block, tried a morsel or two to ground my rolling belly, and score wedges of Garrotxa, Chipotle Cheddar, and Piave to munch on pre-dinner. Finally, I run back to the tasting room to, luckily, find a gentleman just opening up his station before all of the other plebs (I suddenly think I'm royalty in this fake enchanted village.) We try the wines. One of them tastes like strawberry cough syrup and is described as, "Great with pizza!" I'm almost losing faith, but we eventually come to a dry Reisling (2007 Johannisberg Dry Reisling) that I actually liked. I don't usually go for the sweet stuff, but this had a surprisingly crisp taste, and I have been dying to sip it again since we purchased some-- but alas, we are saving it for a special occasion, because back to reality--WE are the plebs. (FYI: All the wines sold at V. Sattui are only sold at the vineyard, and they welcome you to pop open a bottle and picnic on some cheese on one of their many picnic tables located on the vineyard grounds.)


Stop 3: Whitehall Lane
Quite the bare bones establishment to V. Sattui. This place had a rather small tasting counter with several reds I enjoyed, but an oaky Chardonnay that made my toes curl! Nevertheless we made it away with an equally oaky and nutty, but subtly sweet and rich Cabernet Sauvignon, as well as a good buzz. The glass-capped Reserve Cab is still on our wish list.


Stop 4: Robert Sinskey Vineyards
Lastly came this charming little tasting room, which offered a drink menu that came with a bonus: SNACKS! For each bottle tasted came a particular hor d'oeuvre to enhance the taste. After about five glasses of wine (Spitting is for dorks-- and well, we had a driver!) the munchies were most welcome. I'm pretty sure I liked all the wine here, but by this point, I cannot be trusted. We bought a bottle of a blended red called POV. All the bottles at this vineyard have photos taken around the vineyard. Ours has a sheep on it. How adorable.


On the ride back, I forgot all about my hangover, and Persephone, and the swerves and the curves. I think I just fell asleep. Cheers!

3 comments:

Whitehall Lane Winery said...

Glad you made it out to Whitehall Lane. Thanks for the nice comments. Hope you can visit us after the new building is up and running. "D" day is March 1st. Enjoy your next tasting VIP style... an elevator ride up to your private floor, sip our newest releases high above the surrounding vineyards, snack on a nice characuterie platter, and maybe sneak a little Cab from our library.... Please reach out to me and I'll be happy to set this experience up for you and your lucky guests. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

M-L, just found your blog - don't know that I'll be able to get through it in its entirety but I love it so far!

However... (here I'm accessing my computer brain database beep beep dootdootdoot)
BB's guitar is always Lucille. :D

I wish I had known you were back down South, I'd have made a special trip to Charlotte to see you

thehistoryofmyfuture said...

I know, I know. He DOES have Lucille! But when we were at the vineyard, I asked the name of the cat, and the man there told me, and I said, "Like the song?" and the man responded, "No, I think it's like B.B. King's guitar."

Now-- I'm thinking that my memory is failing me, and the man said the cat's name was Lucille! (Which is also a Little Richard song.) Like I said, I was really hungover that day. (I'm gonna change the story now, I think, because I'm pretty sure I was off on that detail.)

Also, I posted on facebook that I was coming to CLT. I had a very short lunch with Maren, but I hardly had time to hang out at all with all the Christmas shopping and family stuff. Maren basically had to drive to my Grandma's house to see me. I knew it'd be a whirlwind like that.