Saturday, June 28, 2008

C'est la vie

I don't know what it is about summertime that makes me want to do nothing but lounge around at cafes, sipping wine, eating cheese, and pretending I am proper Bourgeoisie, but that seems to be the case these days. A case, I might add that is driving me to the poor house! Ah! C'est la vie!

LAST FRIDAY:
I met Katherine at Cafe Gitane a teeny-tiny extremely popular, sometimes deemed trendy, French-Moroccan joint in Nolita. We arrived early, as the place always fills up fast, and actually got a table right away. I've had experiences where the staff has been slightly snobbish, but this time around our server was sweet as the honey atop our gorgonzola walnut crumble. The menu consists of several reasonably priced (Talking one to two dollar signs!) small plates, and a well-chosen, but relatively short wine list. I think Cafe Gitane is best for sipping wine, enjoying the night air (which drifts in frequently through the open door on nice nights), and snack until your tummy is full. Katherine and I started with a salad (a special that evening) then split a sandwich (Organic Roasted Chicken chipotle mayonnaise fresh parmesan roasted tomatoes on toasted baguette), and followed with some cheese for dessert.

Les Fleurs (and Mints)


Gorgonzola, Walnuts, and Honey


WEDNESDAY:
My friend Holly is setting off in a couple weeks for Zambia where she will be working with the Lubuto Library Project for quite some time. She didn't make it to my birthday party, so we had a joint nice-to-see-you-again/farewell dinner at Tartine, another tiny French establishment. This one is located on a quaint side street of the West Village, not too far from Carrie Bradshaw's house and the Marc Jacobs store (Don't be surprised if you get asked for directions to either while in the area.) Tartine is BYOB, so I brought my fave aforementioned rose, and arrived early, because this place fills up just as quickly as Cafe Gitane--And no, they do NOT take names for a wait list-- First come, first served! Luckily, Holly and I scored a perfect table outside, and shared a delicious Beet and Goat Cheese Salad and a heaping pot of Mussels. We ordered another item, but were too stuffed to eat it. (The server was extremely rude when we wanted to cancel the order, but eventually she relented, and cancelled it.) Little did I know, but Holly had brought another bottle of sparkling wine in celebration of my birthday, because she had missed my party last month. She also ordered us two desserts-- a blackberry cobbler, which was delicious served a la mode, and an intensely rich mousse served with raspberries. I can't say I'll be kissing the staff at Tartine on both cheeks any time soon, but I'll definitely return, and make them kiss mine.

Remnants of the salad: Red Beets, Corn, Goat Cheese, Pine Nuts, Endive


Mussels in White Wine Sauce (One qualm: They needed more juice for dipping!)

Trying to hear a tiny ocean...

Mussel Beach


Surprise! Blackberry Cobbler and Chocolate Mousse

Oh, then we found this amazing hippie van right across the street from Carrie Bradshaw's house, and Holly just happened to look like she owned it.  (I never even watched Sex and the City, btw.)

No comments: