Monday, June 9, 2008

The Days Can't Be Like The Nights

As everyone melted into their own personal puddles of sweat, and over-heated exhaustion this past weekend, I stayed cool by the salty air of the sea. Granted, my air was often contaminated with tobacco smoke, fried food steam, rotting garbage, and human body odors, as we were at Coney Island on the boisterous holiday of Puerto Rican Day, but nevertheless the thick atmosphere of Coney was several degrees cooler than that swarming around my own Brooklyn neighborhood. On top of that, I rode the Wonder Wheel for the first time after living in Brooklyn for 5 years and numerous visits to the park, and got to kick it to some sweet house music.

Okay, so the Wonder Wheel scared the ever-loving bejeezus out of me, the music wasn't exactly my jam, and on top of that the restrooms were atrocious. In fact, I'm getting a tetanus shot tomorrow, and praying that the mosquito bite on my thigh doesn't spread into a rash. I also never want to see a fat person in a bikini again (Is there such thing as reverse anorexia where you look in the mirror and see your fat self as wayyy skinny?). The plus size--OMG that was totally a Freudian Slip-- plus SIDE to witnessing these traumatizing bikini faux pas yesterday is that it reminded me to get off my own cellulite and work it out. I even got up this morning at 8am for a run even with the sun beating down on me like it was midday! I felt like I was going to drop after about 10 minutes into my jog, but let's hope I dropped some lbs too! Phew!

In all seriousness, I love Coney for its easy accessibility as much as for its dirt and seediness. There have been rumors of tearing down Astroland for the past couple years in order to "clean up" the neighborhood, and make room for upper class patrons and residents. It hasn't happened yet and according to the New York Times, it doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. Once we ventured from the boardwalk and abandoned the oceanfront sand we even found--what I first thought was a mirage caused by the heat-- Beer Island, a relaxing little gathering of chairs and tables with a bar serving up several imported and domestic beers, healthy food options (small salads, sandwiches, hummus), hot dogs, and your fave classic rock and island tunes from a jukebox. You can find me there every Sunday from now on.


5 comments:

White Lightning said...

you guys are reallllllyy waaaaaayyyy too cute. and sort of becoming VERY SIMILAR?

and i love the hat, m-l

thehistoryofmyfuture said...

aw shucks. thanks. well, i think we've always shared common interests, which is probably why we like each other so darn much. he is wearing MY sunglasses and hat, mind you. i just hope his boobs don't start looking as saggy as mine do in that pic. oy vey! ;)

shea said...

so jealous. coney island is one of my favorite spots to spend a day. have you been to the water taxi beach yet? that is my favorite bar in new york, for sure.

Beverly said...

i spend my mondays just up the boardwalk at brighton beach. i find it way more relaxing as far as beachside goes, then once i get my fill of sunning myself, i walk up the boardwalk and get myself an icecream cone at coney island and mosey on home.

thehistoryofmyfuture said...

Yes, we entertained walking to Brighton, but the people-watching wasn't nearly as appealing there, plus we wanted to ride a ride, and do the photobooth thing, etc. Next beach trip will definitely be at a more remote location. I like Long Beach. You have to pay to get on the beach, but it keeps the syringes and whatnot off the sand.