Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Jules et Jim Crack Corn and I Don't Care

I love the way that food tends to remain the center of life for all no matter age, race, gender, or locale. The reason is obvious and simple: To live we must eat. However, the sentimentality of food is much more important to me than its necessity. It is the glue that binds societies and cultures, and provides a feeling of stability and comfort-- unless it's the glue you're eating anyway. Don't do that. Eating glue is for weirdos.

I've worked in restaurants on and off throughout my time in New York City, and spent a considerable amount of my free time in them, as well. I consider dining a hobby, as well as cooking, and I'd much rather spend my extra cash on a great meal than a great dress. My main reason for this being that I can share the experience with someone else. If you find yourself roped into a meal with me, expect to have my fork in your plate, as much as my own food forced upon you.

These habits can surely be attributed to my upbringing, as no matter the disfunction that infiltrated my family or the hustle of the day, my mother always made sure that we were sitting together for dinnertime. I have fond memories of her rising early every Saturday morning to bake biscuits and fry sausage gravy and eggs, our large family Thanksgivings where I helped my Mawmaw plop pats of dough into bubbling chicken broth for her famous "Dumplins", and my mom's tradition of serving quiche on Christmas morning. Even days that weren't marked on the calendar as "special" were made special by our meals. I find myself doing the same in my own life as I always get a little excited when my boyfriend follows work each day with the call, "What're we gonna make for dinner tonight?"

Saturday night we went to one of my favorite spots in the city, Jules on St. Marks. It's a dimly lit little french bistro, where each night around 9pm a live band plays old blues and jazz tunes, along with some originals. I love going to this place, because it's great for two to order a bottle of wine (huge winelist), a few appetizers, and split an entree, and be completely satisfied. My absolute favorite item on the menu is the escargot which is sauteed in garlic and parsley butter that is best sopped up by the ample bread provided. Since we went with a couple friends the other night, the menu selections were doubled. See below for some visuals (I told you the place was dimly lit!)

Chicken in Lemon Sauce with Mashed Potatoes and Vegetables

Sea Scallops and Asparagus Risotto

Desserts (We had the Chocolate Fondant. My fave part was the vanilla ice cream made with real cream!)

Quail egg from the Steak Tartare

To dine and to ditch?

We're so happy, we're frowning.

No comments: