Thursday, June 5, 2008

Is Tamara Home?

I did it. I went and saw The Strangers last night. As a lover of gore films, I can't say I wasn't disappointed from the lack thereof, but a slasher film can be good without it. I'd actually say this is more of a suspense flick, rather than horror, as it wasn't as utterly terrifying as I was hearing. The spookiest element of the film is the afterthought that no matter how safe you think your home is, if someone wants to come in (to harm, to steal, whatever), they probably can and will. I learned that first hand a long time ago though, when a guy let himself into my apartment while everyone was sleeping and yanked my computer and D-SLR camera. Jerk.



I will add that I had an unsettling dream last night about a girl who was having fluid pumped into her brain by her parents and doctors, so that her brain was turning to mush, while she lay there screaming, "WAIT! I'M STILL ALIVE!!!" I dunno if that was a result of the movie or if I'm just demented. Little o' this, a little o' that most likely.

Anyway, so I decided to create a list of horror movies about people being chased that were wayyyy scarier than this:

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre- The origination of the Leatherface character, and one of the first slasher films. This film and character has been highly influential in the film genre (i.e. Scarecrow in The Strangers, Rob Zombie's flicks, Silence of the Lambs, Michael Myers in Halloween, Jason in Friday the 13th, etc.) Trivia: Leatherface was inspired by serial killer, Ed Gein who also wore the skin of his victims.



Shutter(Original)- I could not get to sleep for two nights after watching this-- mostly because I had a major shoulder/neck ache, which is very much a part of the ending of this movie. WATCH IT! (I can't believe they made an American version of this. Most American remakes of Asian films are total suck in comparison to the originals.)

It- I never read the book, but I was terrified of this when the mini-series came on when I was a kid. I had a fear of clowns like the character in the movie, so a movie about a supernatural evil clown was sure to give me nightmares!



The Hills Have Eyes- Great because it's gory.

House of 1000 Corpses- Another good, dirty gorefest! I love Rob Zombie's movies. The commercials in Grindhouse were awesome too. Pseudo-celeb dish: I met his wife once (Baby Butterfly in the movie.) She's kind of a total ditz, and was staying at Nicholas Cage's apartment. I imagine Mr. Cage to be a weirdo too.



The Decent- One of the best American horror films in the past couple years. Chicks being chased by monsters in the dark in claustrophobia-inducing spaces equals sado-masochistic paradise!

Suspiria- Ballet and witches. I'm in! This was Dario Argento's first installment to what he calls his "Three Mothers Trilogy", and I am insanely excited about the third and final movie coming out THIS FRIDAY, Mother of Tears!

I know there are a ton more, because The Strangers just wasn't that scary. I still liked it though, and it startled me a time or five.

2 comments:

brendan donnelly said...

the strangers is the scariest fucking movie i have ever seen in my life!. i couldn't even get up out of bed to take a piss that night and held it till the sun came up.
seriously, wtf.
i know others though it was a joke but it really scared me into being a 5 year old

shea said...

"It" totally scared the hell out of me. And the "Psycho" bathroom scene has totally scarred me for life.

A model today told me that while she was in Japan someone broke into their apartment through the balcony and started strangling a sleeping model. Also, her friend in Japan was taking a cab home and the cab driver ended up driving her to the country, meeting a driver of a huge semi truck and then tried to SELL her to the Japanese driver dude. But he ended up not wanting an American girl.

Scary stuff (this is why I carry a knife on me).