Friday, May 9, 2008

All About My Mother

Don't forget that this Sunday is Mother's Day!

My mom is an avid collector of many things, one being salt & pepper shakers, so when I found these little bears by Kikkerland Design I knew their honeybear design would add a sweet twist to her spices. I also bought her the card below by Ganapati Studios. They make some really beautiful cards, and contribute to a plethora of charities and reputable causes. The back of the card notes, "The name Ganapati is derived from Ganesha, the elephant headed Hindu deity who signified wisdom and good fortune, and is known as the remover of obstacles." While I grew up in the firmly Bible-belted Christian South, I think my mom will appreciate this idea.

Salty, but sweet.


Slow and steady wins.

A self-proclaimed "Daddy's Girl" my entire life, it is not odd that I reminisce about my life and remember only one parent the most. It is odd, however, that the one parent I remember is my mother. Parents living in seperate homes by age 4, my mother's warmth is the one I feel the most when I reach back to those times of worry and confusion. She was sad then, and--though always in the company of myself and my newborn brother--very lonely, but I never knew. "We are a team," she would say. Now as an adult when I find myself crying into the bottom of a pint of Ben & Jerry's crashing from some mild emotional distress, I begin to realize what a pussy I am in comparison to my mother. She is the strongest person I know.

Just yesterday I called her bitching because she hadn't mailed me something that she had promised. Her very calm retort, "Well, I haven't yet, because I went to the hospital. I dislocated my arm." She informed me that she was fine, and though not a usual pill-popper was doped up on lortabs, because she "couldn't let everyone down at the Student Council meeting at school "(She's a teacher). WTF, Mom!! I think half o f her strength comes from the fact that she's bonkers. I guess I get it naturally (The bonkersness, not the strength.)


Momsy


Southern Comfort

No comments: