Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Wit' or Wit' Out You

As Memorial Day is a day to remember U.S. troops who have perished in battle, I figured what better way to celebrate it but to travel to Philadelphia, the home of our Liberty Bell and Declaration of Independence!

Okay, in all seriousness, Memorial Day has become more a day of beer blasts and hot dog roasts to many, and Philly is the home of my roommate's parents who offered us a free place to stay and a stocked fridge. Either way, I had a pretty great weekend.

The BF, my roommate, roommate's GF, and I all headed to the City of Brotherly Shove with dreams of Cheesesteaks and a general change of scenery. I shot over a 100 photos, which I don't necessarily remember taking, and are being developed as I type this, so they may or may not be posted in the future.

While in Philly, we visited the one-of-a-kind Mütter Museum, which features an amazing exhibition of medical oddities. On display were torturous-looking medical tools (Ladies, if you thought the gyno was bad now, you should check out some of the stuff on display at this place!), some downright gruesome specimens of diseased body parts, as well as a whole section of conjoined twin wonderment. As a kid, I always loved Ripley's Believe It or Not and the like, so I couldn't get enough of this stuff-- and since the entire museum is part of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, there is no question about the believability of these anomalies!

Conjoined twin child skeleton.


Collection of eye injuries and diseases.


Enlarged colon, broken neck, various skull injuries, et cetera...

2 comments:

brendan donnelly said...

ive been to that museum 6 times. its amazing

shea said...

i've always wanted to go to that museum....too bad you didn't check out mint though. and why is it - that clubs are always one word names like plush, mint...stereo?