Tuesday, May 6, 2008

LIFE the musical

If you know me, you have probably heard me say countless times, "Someone put this on a mixtape for me," or "I put this on a mix for someone once," with a weird dorky glimmer in my eye. I decided to put some songs on a mix for myself that I feel have defined me as a person and points in my life. Here's why:

http://thehistoryofmyfuture.muxtape.com/
http://thehistoryofmyfuture.muxtape.com/
http://thehistoryofmyfuture.muxtape.com/

(click song titles for videos too)

  • Morphine- French Fries w/ Pepper- This song really doesn't have much to do with my life, except for the fact that I like it and the lyrics seemed like a good starting place for my childhood.
  • The Only Ones- Another Girl, Another Planet- This was the first song I heard by the Only Ones. Rumored to be about drugs, my attachment has nothing to do with that. Oddly, I find strength in the destructive nature of this song. Plus, it's just an awesome song.
  • Paul Simon- Graceland- Someone put this on a mixtape for me once. (Har har.) "There's a girl in New York City. She calls herself the human trampoline." Plus, as I mentioned before, I was conceived in Memphis. Duh. Totally my song. Maybe one day I'll go back to Graceland.
  • The Jesus and Mary Chain- Sidewalking- I really wanted to use I Hate Rock and Roll, but I thought this was a good transitionary song into my dumb party period.
  • The Cars- You Might Think- A friend of mine had this programmed into her phone so that it played when I called. We got into a lot of good-natured, totally dangerous trouble together. That period of my life was a rollercoaster, but I wouldn't have changed it at all. I was 21.
  • Liz Phair- Supernova- Fave Lyrics: "Your lips are sweet and slippery like an angel's bare wet ass...You fuck like a volcano and you're everything to me." So woah-mantic! This goes out to all the boys I've loved before. WATCH THE VIDEO!
  • Bob Dylan- Just Like A Woman-Self-explanatory and I feel geeky exposing the fact that I feel this way about myself, but whatevs.
  • Lucinda Williams- Fruits of My Labor- One of my favorite songs ever recorded. I LUUUUV Lucinda. She's an amazing lady. I felt like this song once-- or like, 1000 times. One of the most beautiful pieces of lyrical imagery written, "Lemon trees don't make no sense. The branches bend as they fall to the ground."
  • Neil Young- Walk On My best memory of this song is laying in the grass a couple years ago at some person's barbecue that I really didn't know taking sideways photos of my friend with her purse over her head (There were unmentionable reasons for this.) It was the middle of summer, and the breeze was perfect as Neil's sweet voice gave us both the best advice we could have heard at the time.
  • Peggy Lee- I'm A Woman-This song is hot for various reasons. Listen to it.
  • Pavement- Range Life-"You gotta pay your dues before you pay the rent...I want a range life. If I could settle down, then I would settle down." 'Nuff said, y'all. P.S. Stephen Malkmus is so damn cute.
  • Cat Stevens- Wild World- My stepdad told me this was "my song" when I was 12. That's all. Yeah, baby, it is a wild world, man. (Also, Harold and Maude is my fave movie, which this particular song is not in, but you know-- Cat Stevens blah blah. Represent!)

    Songs that should have been on the mix, but wouldn't fit because MUXTAPE only allows 12:




1 comment:

Beverly said...

Jammed out to your autobiographical mixtape at the store today. The musical story of your life makes for a great way to pass my workday.