Friday, February 27, 2009

Don't Dream It Be It

When I was a kid, one of my dad's favorite movies was The Rocky Horror Picture Show. This may sound odd for a Southern middle class business man, but hey-- everybody has their guilty pleasures, I suppose.



The cast included Tim Curry, Barry Bostwick, Susan Sarandon, and Meat Loaf who all went on to very promising performing careers, but I often wondered about the rest of the cast. I knew Richard O'Brien, who played Riff Raff and wrote the musical, went on to write and perform in sequal stinker, Shock Treatment. The only returning cast members happened to be his good friend Patricia Quinn who played Magenta, and "The Lips" in the opening credits (See above), and Little Nell Campbell who played Columbia. Little Nell has proved to be the most interesting to me as I've traced her career.

After Rocky Horror, Nell tried her hand at a singing career where she had a moderately popular single in Britain called "Do the Swim", and then went back to acting. She was a groupie in Pink Floyd's The Wall (although I doubt you'd be able to spot her), and starred in several of Derek Jarman's movies-- most notably Jubilee.








From the mid-80's to 1998, she owned 3 nightclubs in New York City, most famously Nell's (oft mentioned in Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho), and known for turning away A-list celebrities for fun. You may recognize the lounge in The Notorious B.I.G.'s video "Big Poppa", because not only did he frequent the place, but he shot the video here.  After being reincarnated as A through  C list celeb hangout NA, Nell's Nightclub became The Plumm in 2006, another club trying on the exclusive vibe, but I'm pretty sure the space has has already had its hay day. 

No comments: