Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I Can't Hardly Stand It


R.I.P. LUX INTERIOR oct 21, 1948 - feb 4, 2009

While driving through California, Lux Interior, born Erick Lee Purkhiser, picked up a flame-haired hitchhiker named  Kristy Wallace AKA Poison Ivy. By 1976 the two married, moved to NYC,  and birthed the psychobilly sleaze band, The Cramps-- A sound that consisted largely of psych, garage, blues, country, and surf rock. Other members of the band have changed over the years, but the two continued to perform together until today when Interior sadly passed away of an existing heart condition. The Cramps were important members of the blossoming music scene of the 70's and 80's happening in the East Village and LES, namely at CBGB and Max's Kansas City. Interior was well-known for his Iggy Pop-esque gyrations on stage, flamboyant get-ups, and hiccuppy, growling vocals.  Music fans have already begun clogging fan sites with messages in remembrance of him. My heart goes out to his "bad girl vixen", Poison Ivy. He will be missed and remembered.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE: I remember the first time I heard The Cramps. I was in my ex-boyfriend's car (who was only a friend at the time) when we were living in the mountains in Boone, NC. He only had a tape deck in his car, so he would make tons of mixtapes that he would title "Coolsongs #". He probably had 150 of those tapes, plus the ones other people gave him. I had just gotten in the car, when I heard the opening clangs to "I Can't Hardly Stand It", and then the aching, hiccup of a voice (Reminded me of my beloved Elvis), "We-heh-heh-ll the sun's gone down, and you're uptown...I-i-i-if you don't know. I love you so. You got me all tore up." At the time, I was madly head over hills for aforementioned friend, and I couldn't believe how this song seemed to be coming right out my own soul! Such a cheeseball. So that weekend, I went on a trip to Chapel Hill and sought out Bad Music for Bad People. I can't even tell you how many mixtapes that song has gone on (Sorry dudes I've sorta liked and maybe loved before.)







No comments: