Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Heart to Hand

Hopefully there will only be a few more frigid weeks to winter, but no matter the weather I always tend to constantly be wrapped in a blanket when couch-potatoing in front of the tube anyway. Rather than opting for the couch potato's BFF, the SNUGGIE (Gross!), I stick with an old quilt made by my mom's aunt. 

I've always loved old quilts and the stories they tell. Women used to make them from rags and ragged clothing to keep their family's warm when they had no other choices. They were also made from the clothes of different family members and gifted to new babies as memory items.

I have one hanging above my bed given to me by my mother, and sewn by an unknown person in my family. This one was just made as a decoration:


Recently, I ran across Julie Floersch's sculptural quilts, and found them to be really intriguing and beautiful. Her work truly makes you appreciate the art of the needle. You may experience her work for yourself and all its tessallated goodness at Jan and Aya in Greenpoint, Brooklyn until March 1st.



Remember the movie, How to Make an American Quilt starring Winona Ryder (pre-klepto days)? They were making a wedding quilt in that one.



OOOOH BONUS TRIVIA: A group of people making a quilt is called a quilter's bee!

No comments: