Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Fairest of Them All

Remember X-Girl, Kim Gordon's sporty sister clothing line to X-Large? 



I wasn't even a teenager when the first line came out, but around the time I clasped the hook on my third or fourth training bra, I remember ordering catalogues from the back of my Seventeen magazines alongside Delia*s all the way to my tiny town in North Carolina. (I really had a thing for adolescent skater boys.) After receiving one or two, they stopped coming, and I believe the store closed in NYC in 2006 or so. The brand, along with X-Large, is still insanely popular in Japan.

It's no lie that Kim has always had incredible style, and is one of the coolest chicks around. So it's pretty sweet that in the past 15 years her fashion sense has matured into a new 60's France-inspired collection called Mirror/Dash. (Little Known Fact: Mirror/Dash is also a Kim Gordon/Thurston Moore musical side project. See video HERE.)The only bummer is that it's being distributed via Urban Outfitters, but I'd brave a pack of NYU kids and even dumpy-butted tourists any day for Kim's garb. She's working with designer Jeffrey Monteiro, ex-head designer at Derek Lam on the line, and it'll be available in UO on Feb 16th. 

Only two photos of items of the Mirror/Dash line have been released:

The Hardy Jacket inspired by the ever-chic Francoise.

And this slouchy little dress

While you wait for the rest, here's a little retrospective of Kim's looks from the past.
(And read the interview BUST did with Kim regarding the line too!)











2 comments:

brendan donnelly said...

when i was 13-14 i was a member of their fan club "sonic death" and each month i got a mix tape, a zine and some pins.

i think "milkfed" is the bootleg version of x girl

Leti said...

I was in Sonic Death too but all I got was a postcard, I still have it though. I had an x girl sticker on my first car and I also still wore an x girl jacket until a couple months ago. LOVE IT